Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard (Not the Diary Queen Variety)

Tuesday night it began snow, took a break around Wednesday morning, then began snowing again until there was more than 14 inches. I never heard what the final total was, but I do know that it was more snow than I have ever seen, and the combination of snow and wind made for a real challenge yesterday.
Joshua and I started shoveling around 6:45 and kept at it until around 10, with a couple breaks thrown in. We finished his side (the lighter side) so he could get to work, and then I kept going for another couple hours. I finished my side enough that I can get out, but it's still just one lane near the street. I was defeated by the snow, that in some places was drifted higher than my waste. The last picture from above shows the snow mountain than is higher than five feet tall.
All this winter weather has left me some time for activities other than shoveling. (I'm enjoying my third snow day today.) I made a new ironing board cover to replace a very stained, boring blue one. I've had this fabric for a while, but never had a great project for it. I'm quite pleased with how this turned out. I also tried out a new embroidery stitch and made a monogrammed scarf for my nightstand. Very cute! Overall, the blizzard of 2011 treated me well. Besides some sore muscles, we had a fine time snug in our little split level, happy as can be.








No comments: