Monday, December 27, 2010

A Holly, Jolly Christmas

After four days of Christmas traveling, I'm home today cleaning, organizing, and looking at pictures. Here are the highlights from the past few days.

Joshua and I went up to my parents' house the day before Christmas Eve, earlier than expected because of predicted snow. The snow turned into reality, bringing 7-8 inches and a nervous drive to Grandma Norma and Grandpa Joe's for Christmas Eve festivities. We made it okay and enjoyed soup and sandwiches (meatball, chicken, and Cuban), along with the annual white elephant gift exchange. I took home two classic DVDs, Animal House and Austin Powers. Joshua was quite pleased with his gift, an over-sized thumbs-up statue. I should have taken a picture of that one.
We spent Christmas day at Mom and Dad's, opening presents and eating brunch. Here are a few memorable gifts.
Shaun's present to me was truly inspired and really is my favorite. After reading about an abandoned donkey named Hobo in the Peoria Journal Star, Shaun knew a donation for Hobo was just the gift for me. It's no secret that I do love donkeys. I hope to NOT be a donkey collector, with friends and family buying me loads of collectibles to junk up my house, but those animals do make me smile. Poor Hobo has had a sad life, and there are no rescue groups for donkeys, so this lady, the owner of a horse therapy farm for children with autism, has taken him in. She needs a little cash to get Hobo gelded, but once that's done, he'll have a very happy life at God's Little Acre farm. (That's really the name.) I can't tell you all how much I LOVE this gift. Shaun said I can be expecting a picture of Hobo in the mail. Makes me smile.
Shaun hit another home run in the gift department with Joshua. A couple times each year, Joshua declares a moustache party at our home. The guests wear fake moustaches, and we have a good time with a few beverages. Shaun tracked down (on etsy) shot glasses with moustaches; so cute! Joshua also loves his new Bears jersey from Dad and Mom.
I also love this new little treasure, a kitchen clock featuring silverware. Very kitschy.
Ryan seemed pretty pleased with his personalized rolle bolle, and we all loved the rolle bolle bags. We'll be set for next Labor Day.
One other fun item was press-on nails. I thought it would just be some goofy fun, so they went on my Christmas list. Mom agreed, and bought enough for all the girls. Here we are, thanks to Kati's expertise. Later that night I spent over an hour taking them off because they were making my fingers hurt. Worth the laugh.
Yesterday, Joshua and I went to Monticello to visit his family. Everyone was there for lunch at Grandpa and Grandma's, and then to Philipo's for dinner. Joshua could hardly skip going there. It was nice to see everyone; even Aimee was in town from Colorado. We don't get to see them enough.
Hopefully we can see Polly, Greg, and the kids in the next couple of weeks to finish our Christmas visiting.

1 comment:

jb.little said...

Love the clock... but you know me and silverware on display. I'm just glad you won't have to actually make your own. Cause it was probably never going to happen :)