Monday, May 3, 2010

Growing Things

Since beginning late last summer after closing on the house, my landscaping project has been ongoing. I suppose anyone with a flower or vegetable garden would say that these things take time, LOTS of time. It's a challenge, but surprisingly, I love it. Here is all that has been accomplished.1. Took out the enormous lilac bush and replaced it with a much tidier assortment of grasses, azalea bushes, lillies, black eyed susans, and liatris. This will only get prettier as more of the flowers bloom this summer.
2. Pulled out all the mismatched scalloped edging and replaced it with neat bricks with a free, curving pattern. This took place around the entire house and was tedious and very difficult. At times I was using a steak knife to cut out tough sod. So worth it!
3. Split and replanted lots of hostas. Love this side of the house especially.
4. Added completely new flower beds at the back of the house. This includes more grasses, azaleas, and three peony bushes for Shaun. She loves them with all her heart. I must say, they are pertty. This part of the landscaping still needs mulch. I underestimated at Lowe's yesterday. At some point the deck needs to be redone. At the moment, it's impossible to avoid slivers in bare feet. That will be a project down the road. For now, I'm quite content. I turned an over-grown, mismatched array of plants and weeds into a manicured and loved green space. More pictures to come as the flowers bloom this summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you, garden girl! So proud! And I especially love the picture of you in your shoes... with socks. I know you love your socks :)

LMC said...

This is awesome!! It looks wondeful. I can't imagine what it will be in full bloom. You'll have to post pics again. Such a dedicated worker.

Vanilla Bean Counter said...

Donde esta Nuestra SeƱora de Guadalupe?