Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Cookies - Trial 2

Great Grandma's Christmas cookies are a tradition in my family. The cookie-making torch was passed to Jon G many years ago, and she always does a fantastic job. This year I was thinking to myself, "Self, Jon G can't even eat the cookies (because of the wheat). Why don't you take over the cookies? You can do it!"

DUMB IDEA!

I don't bake. I'm horrible. I can cook dinner, but that's it. No baking, thank you.

I think I was expecting mom to be a little disappointed about giving up the tradition. Not so much. She handed over the original copy of the recipe without batting an eye. Then she promptly gave me specific directions to follow. Only use Fleishmann's margarine (found after going to FOUR grocery stores), and don't you dare add too much flour. If I fail to follow these directions, Christmas will be ruined for the entire family.
My first try last weekend turned out great, or so everyone besides my father said. Something wasn't quite right.
Last night I spent another couple of hours making trial two. I really hope they turned out. I won't know for sure until Christmas Eve when Grandpa and Dad try them.
Here are a few pictures.
Pretending to have some Christmas spirit regarding baking.
Avoiding too much flour.
Using an Easter cookie cutter, just to jazz it up a little. I needed some comic relief from the stress.
Putting on a serious face and persevering to the the end.

Tomorrow frosting will commence.

2 comments:

LMC said...

Yum...cookies sound so wonderful right now!

Tiger Striped Doc said...

There is no universe in which that could be considered a serious face.