Sunday, July 19, 2009

Our Bed and Breakfast

This weekend was the fifth in a row that Joshua and I have hosted guests, making us feel like quite the bed and breakfast owners. We have a good time hosting friends. I like it because it's so much easier staying at my own home rather than packing up an overnight bag and driving a couple hours to be trapped, I mean stay, at others' homes. I love seeing friends, but it's nice being able to do my own thing when I'm tired of group activities. Accomplishments for this weekend include some landscaping and painting.

All of the landscaping from the last owners is really overgrown, with the back yard having nothing at all, and the rest with a mismatched assortment of edging. The end goal for me is to have a tidy, low-maintenance, unified yard. This weekend I took care of some junk under the deck and made that look quite neat. This involved moving some rock and taking down two old hose holders mounted in random places.

My painting project was in the master bath. It's a small bathroom with a pedestal sink (no storage!) and a dated oak medicine cabinet and over-the-toilet cabinet. Today I painted the medicine cabinet white for a cleaner look, and now I'm pondering something functional but less obtrusive for over the toilet. Painting that cabinet was liberating. I know the last owners loved oak and loved that bathroom, but it's mine now, and I can do what I want! How fun. I hope to have the project completed by the end of the week. I'll post pictures when it's done.

No comments: