Sunday, August 9, 2009

Good Ridance Lilac

I've never considered myself much of a landscaper, but I do appreciate nice flower beds that clearly have a plan. This is my goal for my yard, just to look like I have a well-executed, if simple, plan. Since moving in, I've been thinking about the giant lilac bush that completely covered the front of my house. Who would plant something that would get so big right in front of the house? Horrible plan. I hated it. It was overgrown. It needed to go. Mom and I started trimming on it three weeks ago, then realized it was a bigger job than we expected. I then called seven tree service business. Do you think I could get someone to come to my house to take it down? No. The lilac was too big for me but too small for a professional. So, Wes started working on it with a chain saw and axe. He got it down to the ground, but I still had a giant stump to contend with. I started planning how to put mulch over it to hide it, but today my parents came to the rescue. The started digging, and three hours later, the stump was down at least eight inches below ground. I can replant over it! Woohoo! My parents are so good at things like this. I'm thrilled. Other projects they helped me with today include getting more bricks for edging and installing a new outlet for the microwave. I can now run the toaster oven and microwave at the same time without blowing a fuse. Such a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, we are meant to be forever friends. I, too, have a huge lilac bush that covers half of my house. But, seeing as I love the smell of lilacs in the spring, it has stayed (although, I do hack it down after every season). Good work, homeowner! I am proud.