Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It's in the Mail

Yesterday was my last trip ever to Edwardsville. I had my final exit interview with my adviser. All of my clinical hours and classes are checked off, and I'm ready for my diploma, which will be mailed to me in a few weeks.

It struck me as odd when I left campus yesterday how void of emotion I was. When I graduated from my undergrad program, there were hugs and congratulations from all the professors and encouragements to stay in touch about the transition to grad school and eventually to a career. I have a lot of complaints about Augustana, but I also have many fond memories of the Communication Sciences and Disorders department. It's interesting to me how little the past two years at SIUE have impacted me. My adviser didn't care about my job, and when I left yesterday, I felt no warmth or sadness. Southern really was just another hoop to jump through on my way to a job. And that's okay. Someone told me once (or more than once) as I complained about different aspects of Southern, "That's what you get from a state school."

So, thanks Southern for getting me a master's degree, but I won't miss you. It's been a great two years, marriage, moving to Litchfield and Springfield, meeting my forever friend, watching my husband finish medical school this spring, but graduating from Southern just doesn't register as an important life event.

1 comment:

jb.little said...

I'm glad to have met you, too, forever friend. And, Randy wants to know how much the estimator job in Peoria pays... :)