Monday, April 20, 2009

Success!

Today I signed the contract for my first real job. I'm pretty excited. I'll be working at a middle school and a high school in two self-contained classrooms for students with severe cognitive impairments (autism, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, and other diagnoses). My caseload with be about 23 students, which is great. (A typical school caseload is 60 students.) The two curriculum teachers seem nice, and I'll be working with them to facilitate functional communication in the classroom and on community outings.

Although this job is not acute care with adults in the hospital, which was my first choice, I'm really optimistic. It's a unique position for a speech-language pathologist, and it'll be nice to have plenty of time to spend with the students and really get to know them. Not to mention, with this population, I won't spend all my time working with students who can't produce /r/. Plus, school schedule is great. Summers off, snow days, and every holiday you can think of at home. I love it!

2 comments:

jb.little said...

I knew you'd come around to the schools... welcome, friend!

Vanilla Bean Counter said...

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wabits. You know you will miss it.