Saturday, February 21, 2009

Week Six - Check, Done.

My medical internship is rolling right along. Six weeks down, and for the rest of my classmates, two more to go. For me though? Not the case. I will be staying a full twelve weeks at the hospital, working for free. Is this a problem? By no means. I will continue to learn. Great! Except yesterday a snafu came up that irritated me.

My university supervisor, Jane, came to visit and talk to my hospital supervisor, Mary Ann, and me. The two supervisors talk. I talk with Jane, and she tells me Mary Ann is so pleased with my work that eight weeks really would have been enough. Most students require 12 to get it, but I'm doing great. What a compliment, right?

Later that day, Mary Ann approaches me about possibly staying on at the hospital after my internship and working for money. I'm not entirely sure what money is, but I've heard it's great. Another nice compliment, right?

Not exactly because the two compliments together make me feel that I'm being taken advantage of. They're using me for four extra weeks of free work and then only paying me when they have to.

What's a girl to do? Be grateful for the money when it comes or on principle tell Mary Ann that it's unfair? Any thoughts?

No comments: