Monday, January 2, 2012

Ready for 2012

I'm struggling to believe another new year has arrived. It seems that 2011 went by much too quickly. I suppose it's time for a recap.

2011 was an eventful year. Last winter I began looking for a new job, as mine was no longer available after the end of the school year. I accepted a position to work for a therapy company, proving speech-language services in a nursing home and outpatient settings. After a very unhappy summer of driving around doing a job that was quite different than described during the interview, I made the decision to leave. I'm so glad I did!

I quickly found a new position working for District 150. Despite all of the unpleasant rumors, I have had a mostly positive experience. I love my students, and my coworkers are fantastic (not to mention the fantastic school schedule). I have also continued to work a few PRN shifts at Rosewood Care Center. I always enjoy seeing everyone there, and it's great to work with adults.
Other memorable moments of 2011 include our first vacation to somewhere other than to visit family. Riding the train to Chicago and seeing the sights was great. It wasn't the dreamed-of beach vacation, but still a fun adventure with my favorite boy.

We were also able to spend lots of time with family and friends in 2011. Mom and Dad have been to visit several times, and Joshua and I toured his grandparents' homes in Monticello and in Wisconsin. We have seen our favorite niece get bigger; she's walking now!

Now that 2012 has begun, I'm thinking about the eventful year it promises to be. Joshua will finish residency at the end of June. He has accepted a position to begin practice with a group in Monticello, IL. We'll be close to his family, in a beautiful, small town. He is so excited to complete his education and move on to a real job.

Before we get there, though, we'll need to think about selling our home in Peoria. I'm trying not to dwell on this too much; I love our life here so much! Although I know Monticello will be fantastic, it's hard to think about leaving Peoria, my job, proximity to my sister and parents, our house, and my plant babies. Monticello is a wonderful opportunity for Joshua to make a tremendous impact in a community, and I'm sure I will be able to reinvent myself, as well. Who knows what I will do?

Here's to 2012: may you be as friendly and happy as 2011!

No comments: