Sunday, January 10, 2010

An Evening at the Theater

Last night Vanilla Bean Counter and I went to Penguin Project's production of Fiddler on the Roof Jr. over in East Peoria. Before beginning my job, I had never heard of Penguin Project. It's a yearly musical production that features young performers, all with disabilities of some sort like CP, Down Syndrome, Autism, TBI, hearing impairment, and cognitive impairment. Several of my students were in the show, and they've been practicing since August.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the show was awesome! All the performers were fantastic, and the junior version of the show was so much better than the lengthy original. We heard the familiar songs and the pertinent dialogue but got rid of the tedious extras. The show lasted just under two hours, and it was well worth the price of admission.

No comments: