Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vacation 2009

Sorry for my absence for the past week. Joshua and I have been vacationing in the lovely state of Wisconsin. Each year we head up to the north-western part of the state to stay at Grandpa and Grandma's home on Bond Lake. Here's a recap.

Friday: We arrived at the cabin after a nine hour drive. It was rainy and cold, less than 60 degrees. Joshua still jumped off the top of the pontoon boat. He couldn't resist being the first one of the season. I wasn't so brave. I don't have a picture of this year, but here's one from a past vacation.
Saturday: We made a trip to Duluth with Joshua's grandma to update their home with two new TVs. Joshua loves any excuse to visit a Best Buy. Duluth is about an hour drive, but it was another cold and rainy day, so we had nothing else going.

Sunday: Cold and rainy. We spent the day cooped up in the house. Blah.

Monday: More cold.

Tuesday: You guessed it, cold and rainy, a high of 48 degrees. So, we used up our last Wisconsin rainy day activity, a trip to Hayward. If you've heard of Hayward, it's probably because of the lumberjack competitions that are held there. I think you can watch them on ESPN sometimes. While we were there, we went to the Muskie Museum (yes, a museum devoted to fishing the Muskie, complete with a GIANT fish-shaped building you can climp up into), Tremblie's Candy store, and several other little shops on the main street. I found some lovely postcards. I love sending postcards. They're just so cute and cheap to mail! Although I got some great postcards, that was not the find of the day. In one little store that sold a little fabric and other craft supplies, I found FIVE new colors of felt that I have only seen online, never at another store. You better believe I loaded up. I felt like i hit the jackpot. All the horrible weather was forgotten.

Wednesday: The weather was a little nicer, but not much. We spent a small amount of time on the lake in the pontoon boat.

Thursday: Beautiful weather at last. I was in my swimsuit and sunning on the top of the pontoon boat first thing after breakfast.

Friday: More gorgeous weather. I was so happy to see the sun that I didn't bother to use enough sunscreen. Joshua and I are still a little toasty.

Saturday: We got up at 4 in the morning to make the drive to Baraboo, Wisconsin to meet my family for our first ever family vacation. No, I'm really not exaggerating. A few times when we were kids, we would travel to Nebraska or Wyoming to see family, but that really doesn't count. It wasn't much fun, and my Dad didn't come. So, you must be thinking, what in Baraboo, Wisconsin could inspire our family to take a vacation (for one day). It's Circus World, of course! Mom loves circuses, so we did this mostly for her. It ended up being a really fun day. We saw a tiger and elephants. Joshua, Ryan, and Mom even rode one! We ate cotton candy and saw a show with lots of acrobats and contortionists. Everyone was in a nice mood for the entire day; it couldn't have gone better. We ended the day with dinner, and then Joshua and I drove on home, the nicest place to be in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess global warming hasn't affected Wisconsin yet. We'll be on the west coast of Michigan in a few weeks. I hope it is warmer there.

How about some pictures of Thursday's activity?