Thursday, June 4, 2009

House Chores

Since moving into the new house, we've been very busy. Yesterday Joshua took charge and ditched our out-of-town lender. He was completely worthless and one of the main reasons why we haven't closed on the house yet. Too many mistakes, so we got rid of him. The funny thing is, when Josh told him, he said it was probably a good idea to use someone else. Strange. Okay, so we went to Busey bank. They seemed very competent, returned our phone calls, and answered our questions. We will be closing on the 19th at the soonest, the next week at the latest. Woohoo! So, that was Joshua's big accomplishment from yesterday.

Our chore for today was mowing. I hate gas mowers. The smell, hassle, and difficulty starting them were enough to convince me that an electric mower was the way to go. It just so happened that Grandpa Joe had one around the farm that he got at the sale barn some time ago. Josh started with the front yard. He was a good sport, but he wasn't great at managing the cord. It's important to work away from the outlet, but he was too focused on going around all the obstacles to begin with. Within the first five minutes, Mr. Erickson (an elderly gentleman with a thick Swedish accent) was over offering us his gas mower to use. He was quite skeptical when I told he we wanted to use the electric mower. Ten minutes after that, Josh was still struggling with the cord when he started chatting with the neighbors. It just so happens that their 16-year-old son likes to mow yards for money. Josh was quite ready to sign us up for $20 a week. I don't think so. I took over the mowing, and really it wasn't a big deal. The only minor issue was the back outlet not working. I'm sure there's a switch somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I just plugged it in inside. Kind of funny. Now I have a guilt-free $20 a week to spend on what I want. I'll just pay myself what Joshua wanted to pay the neighbor.
Tomorrow we're off to Wisconsin for a week. Should be fun!

No comments: